Santos Elena Ruiz Solano, of Central Islip, charged with murder in death of newborn daughter

http://longisland.news12.com/news/santos-elena-ruiz-solano-of-central-islip-charged-with-murder-in-death-of-newborn-daughter-1.7289730?pts=4309 RIVERHEAD – The Central Islip woman accused of killing her newborn daughter was arraigned Wednesday. Santos Elena Ruiz Solano, 26, was charged with murder after police say she killed her newborn baby girl at a residence where she worked as a housekeeper. Prosecutors say the baby suffered at least three skull fractures that would have been caused by at least one impact. Police say after giving birth inside the West Islip home, Ruiz Solano called her husband to pick her up and take her to the hospital. When he got there, detectives say she handed him a bag and asked him to throw it out. He did not know what was inside. Officials say her husband became suspicious, so he checked the bag when he got to the hospital, found the baby and called police. Ruiz Solano was pregnant for seven months without anyone knowing. Solano says she was raped while crossing the border from Honduras, and that is why she was pregnant. Ruiz Solano’s lawyer says his client is devastated, and claims the baby was stillborn. Ruiz Solano was not granted bail and is due back in court next...

Lawyer: Mom didn’t kill baby; seeks new forensic exam

Updated March 5, 2014 9:22 PM By DARRAN SIMON http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/lawyer-mom-didn-t-kill-baby-seeks-new-forensic-exam-1.7293540 An undocumented live-in housekeeper kept her pregnancy a secret and killed her newborn after giving birth in her employer’s West Islip home, prosecutors said Wednesday at the woman’s arraignment. An attorney for Santos Elena Ruiz Solano, 26, a native of Honduras, disputed the prosecution’s claim the baby was delivered alive during the arraignment in Suffolk County Court. Central Islip lawyer Michael Brown repeated his claim the child was stillborn. He said he would hire an independent medical examiner to determine the cause of death. He entered a not guilty plea for his client. Ruiz Solano was ordered held without bail. She was indicted Feb. 25 on a charge of second-degree murder. Ruiz Solano delivered the baby alone Feb. 16 at her employer’s waterfront home, police said. She was arrested Feb. 20. In an interview with authorities, she claimed she was raped on her journey to enter the country, prosecutors said. In court, Brown said his client was a domestic violence victim in that journey about seven months ago. Robert Clifford, a spokesman for Suffolk District Attorney Thomas Spota, declined to comment on the rape allegation, and noted Ruiz Solano’s story about the baby’s death has changed. “Her first story to detectives was that she wasn’t pregnant and did not give birth . . . and she then changed her story and claimed she had delivered the baby on her own but that the baby was born dead,” a Spota news release said. Prosecutors said the alleged rape may have provided a reason to kill the baby. In court, Assistant...

NY shooting suspect pleads not guilty to murder

By FRANK ELTMAN, Associated Press – CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. (AP) — A former tenant fired 11 shots through the window of a suburban New York home, killing a popular equestrian and wounding the man’s partner before fleeing to Tennessee, where he was arrested earlier this week, a prosecutor said Friday. Brett Knight, 45, was ordered held without bail after pleading not guilty to a second-degree murder charge in the Sept. 24 killing of Ross Reisner in Setauket, a rural community on eastern Long Island. Assistant District Attorney Rafael Pearl said Knight told authorities he fired the shots that killed Reisner and injured Kevin Murray, but defense attorney Michael Brown said was dubious whether the statements would or could be admitted at trial. “I am interested in seeing what kind of proof the district attorney has,” Brown said. “From my limited knowledge, I think they’re going to have some serious problems establishing the guilt of my client.” Knight was previously charged in an alleged aggravated harassment case involving Murray, but was not arraigned in that case on Friday; prosecutors did not explain why. Brown said Knight, a former American Express employee, had been friends with both Reisner and Murray for nearly two decades. “There is really no incentive or motive to cause any type of injuries to them,” the lawyer said. Knight, who is originally from Midvale, Utah, and graduated from Brigham Young University, settled a lawsuit filed in 2009 against American Express, Brown said, but added he did not know specific details about that case. A New York Post report at the time said Knight claimed he had been...

Central Islip man faces murder charge in Matthew Gilmore shooting death

Originally published: June 6, 2013 3:03 PM Updated: June 6, 2013 10:25 PM By NICOLE FULLER  nicole.fuller@newsday.com A 22-year-old man was charged Thursday with the shooting death of a Central Islip resident who was among three victims gunned down in the hamlet in the span of less than two days late last month. Raesean N. Allen of Central Islip was arraigned on a second-degree murder charge in the May 28 shooting death of Matthew Gilmore, 25 — the final victim in the spate of killings that began on the night of May 26. No one has been charged in the shooting deaths of Central Islip residents Derrick Mayes and Kennan Russell, both 21. Law enforcement sources said the killing of Gilmore is not connected to the shootings of Mayes and Russell, which sources suspect may have been committed by MS-13 gang members. PHOTOS: Mug shots | Notorious crimes | Caught on tape ALERTS: Get crime reports from your area | Breaking news alerts Allen, who has pleaded guilty previously to charges of criminal contempt, resisting arrest, marijuana possession and larceny, confessed to robbing Gilmore after he had been shot several times inside his Clayton Street residence, according to a criminal complaint. He told police after someone else “shot the victim several times, I took some of the victim’s marijuana and ran out the front door,” the complaint stated. At his arraignment in First District Court in Central Islip, Allen was ordered held without bail before Judge Paul M. Hensley. His attorney, Michael J. Brown, did not request bail. Brown said Allen did not shoot Gilmore, but acknowledged his client was present at...

Ex-teacher Christopher Teague pleads guilty to child-porn charges

Originally published: May 29, 2013 1:17 PM Updated: May 29, 2013 10:03 PM By ANDREW SMITH  andrew.smith@newsday.com A former Middle Island junior high school math teacher was sent to jail Wednesday for sharing child pornography with others, including minors. Christopher Teague, 35, of Coram, pleaded guilty in February to promoting a sexual performance by a child and numerous other charges. Wednesday, Suffolk County Court Judge Barbara Kahn said she had considered “a great deal of material on the defendant’s behalf” that she had received from teachers, supervisors and parents of students in deciding to sentence Teague to 6 months in jail and 10 years’ probation. Assistant District Attorney John Cortes urged that Teague receive “significant” prison time. The maximum he faced on the top charge was 7 years. “The defendant engaged in shameful behavior,” Cortes said. “He has insulted the educational field.” Cortes said Teague distributed by computer the images of children engaged in sex acts to child sex abusers and to children he didn’t know. Teague hugged his tearful parents before he was sentenced and said nothing when Kahn asked if he wanted to speak. Supporters sent the letters “despite these disturbing and horrifying charges,” Kahn said. Defense attorney Michael Brown of Central Islip told her, “There’s a lot more to my client than what’s in that indictment.” Kahn said the sentence was consistent with similar cases. “There is no evidence whatsoever of any contact by Mr. Teague with any student in the school district,” Kahn said, adding that Teague will be prohibited from having contact with children when he gets out of jail. “He can’t teach them,”...

Man sentenced to 33 years in pool hall death

Originally published: May 22, 2013 12:42 PM Updated: May 22, 2013 9:46 PM By ANDREW SMITH  andrew.smith@newsday.com An MS-13 gang member was sentenced Wednesday to 33 years to life in prison for bashing one man’s head in with a metal pipe and injuring two other men outside a Brentwood pool hall in 2011. Jairon Gonzales Martinez, 25, of Brentwood, was convicted last month of second-degree murder, second-degree attempted murder and second-degree assault for his role in an attack that left Rumaldo Bethancourt Lopez, 29, dead. Two other men, Geovani Guzman Hernandez and Alcides Gomez, are awaiting trial for the same attack. Assistant District Attorney Glenn Kurtzrock said the three victims, who did not know the defendants, were just trying to enjoy themselves when they were attacked. Abraham Orellana was hit in the head with a brick or piece of concrete, he said. Then about 20 minutes later, the defendants came back with a baseball bat and a metal pipe and beat Bethancourt Lopez and Ramiro Garcia. Garcia, who has returned home to Honduras, was in a coma and now has a titanium plate in his face and is partly paralyzed, Kurtzrock said. “Mr. Lopez was beaten so brutally he was no longer recognizable,” Kurtzrock said. “In the autopsy photos, he looks like he was mauled by a pack of wild animals, and in a way, he was.” Kurtzrock told State Supreme Court Justice Mark Cohen that Gonzales Martinez has been without emotion or remorse since the attack. “He just doesn’t care, judge,” Kurtzrock said, recommending the maximum of 57 years to life. Defense attorney Michael Brown of Central Islip,...